Thursday, July 23, 2009

Pioneer Loved Ones

Lately I've been spending quite a bit of time thinking about our family and loved ones. This happens to me once in a while. Of course I think about my parents and grandparents that I remember and look forward to being re-united with some day. And there are those friends and family that are still living, that I don't see much of, that I think about being with someday too. But lately I've been thinking more about relatives and what I call "Kindred Spirit Friends" that were special to us on the other side of the veil. Ever since our return from our back east Church History trip, and our experience as chaperone's for our Stake Youth Conference on the "Muddy River Mission" I have spent quite a bit of time thinking about some of our family heritage. I have especially been thinking about little baby Electa Roberts and her mother Mary. It is very humbling for me to think about their courage and dedication to what they believed in. They sacrificed so much for their beliefs. Brigham Young, who was a good friend of theirs, I'm sure, said "The test of a mans faith was his willingness to uproot himself and his family, time and time again, and start life anew where he is needed." They certainly did it. They left their home in Provo when they were called to come to the Muddy River to help the Indians. It must have been so hard. I live here now all these years later and I know that this part of the world can be wicked. I love it here and feel a very special spirit here. That is why we are here. Mary came here without the conveniences that we have. She brought her children here and even lost little baby Electa here. When I think about it, I feel so much love for her. The other day as I was cruising along on my very nice bike, on a nice paved road, I decided to stop and visit the old pioneer cemetery where Electa is probably resting. I feel so close to her and look forward to giving her a hug when I am re-united with her on the other side. I can't help but think that she is near to me and helping me on the other side. How must Mary have felt when Brigham Young came and told them they could leave. She was probably so happy to be going back to Provo but also sad to know she was leaving a part of her behind. Well, now I am here and close to her lost baby and I love her. Isn't that a strange thing. When Jay and I decided to move here with our family, we had a very spiritual experience. We knew we were suppose to be here. We didn't know why, but we also felt some spirits on the other side that were very near to us and directing us. As I think about it now, I wonder if it was Benjamin and Mary Roberts and their family. I guess we will find out some day. It is also interesting to me that Benjamin was Grandpa Vogels grandfather and Grandpa Vogel spent his last days here. I do know that I have a great love for these past pioneers that they are a part of me. We are a part of their family and they are a part of ours. I won't forget them and I think they are aware of us too.
After my bike ride I decided I would go back and take a few pictures. As I sat on the hill of that old pioneer cemetery, looking over the valley, I wondered how much different it must have been for Mary looking over the same valley. When I decided it was time to ride home, I looked across the valley to where my home is. The steeple to the church, across from my home, looked so tiny and far away. When I got on my racer bike on the paved road it took me only about 25 minutes to ride home. It was probably about 90 degrees out by that time of the morning. When Mary headed back North, it probably took them at least one full day just to get to where I live. Hopefully it wasn't a hot summer day and they had some decent water to drink.

1 comment:

Dallas said...

Wow, you have been doing some really great posts mom. I don't know if you did this on purpose but today is kind of "Pioneer Day" in Utah and what better way to celebrate it than think of the ones especially family members that came before us. I have been baking pioneer food all day today in a way to celebrate it, but reading your post made me feel the spirit of it way better than any food, fireworks, parades ect. I am sitting here in reverence and awe just thinking of your story and your feelings about it all. Thanks for sharing.