Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Window is still Cracked Open

Erin



"Er Bear"

This week my baby Erin started back to school for her last year of public education. Wow! As I sat back after she left for school, (actually I really didn't sit, I kept busy working) and pondered the event, I suddenly realized that this was the last time I would send a child off to school. I then thought back over all the years of sending all of my children back to school. Each year I remember always feeling so excited for each of them but also so sad because I loved having my children home for the summer. They were all my little buddies and I missed each of them when they were gone. I remember most all the other Moms talking about how excited they were to have summer over and sending their kids back to school. I always thought there must be something wrong with me because I didn't feel that was AT all. Well, now as I worked in my yard, I thought about the windows in our lives. A big window is about to close in my life, and that means a new window is about to open. That is an interesting feeling. I don't quite know how I feel about it at this point. I would have to say a little sad and a little excited.


Erin and her new Viola

Now, I do believe that was about the fastest summer we have ever had. Time flew by soooooo fast. I don't know why, because I can't really even remember what we did. I know we worked a lot because we didn't vacation much. Well, I would have to say we accomplished what we wanted to accomplish though.


Beautiful

These were our goals for the summer. Erin decided she was ready to invest in an upgrade in her viola. We thought her old viola would last through High School, but she has improved to the point that she was ready for a better one. So, we decided to start shopping. We have learned a lot about musical instruments, how they are made, what makes one different than another, and on and on. I was very surprised at how much different each instrument can be and how unique they are. I was also so surprised at the different prices. Our goal was to find one before school started this fall and we barely made it. She also was working and saving her money so that she could pay cash for it. I was so proud of her. She is really growing up right now and this experience has really helped her learn a lot more about life and the value of money. She has a much greater appreciation for all those Fruitfull runs and raising good 4-H animals. She also is practicing with greater quality and intensity. This is paying off. She is really improving right now and we are sure enjoying it. She also started up taking piano lessons again. She realizes that if she wants to pursue her education in music, she will need a better piano base. So, lucky me, I get to hear her practice the piano too. It seems like that is what she does with every spare moment, play viola and then play piano. And since she is the only kid around now, she can just leave it out and it is safe and convenient to play easily.


Happy

Her next goal was to complete a home study Social Civic coarse so that she could graduate from High School early. She did it. I am so proud of her because I didn't know if she would make it. It has been my observation in the past that she kind of has a problem with procrastination. I don't know how she got like this, because it is not like me at all and it drives me crazy to watch a procrastinator. She did it though, and I lived through watching the first half of the summer before she even opened the book. I was also very careful to not say anything about it. I really thought that this might be one of those hard learned lessons of failure, but I was wrong. Even procrastinators can get things done on time.

Erin has a dream.. She wants to get a music scholarship and major in music performance. But at the same time, wants to get a certificate in something like Visual Tech, Surgical Tech, Respiratory Therapy or Phlebotomy. That way she can get a job while she is studying what she loves. She is working on her pre-requisites at Community College now to get her into one of these courses now. What a smart girl. I am so excited for her. I know she can do it.

Life is good. I Love you Erin. Thank you for being a part of our family.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

You have a lot to be proud of there Rhonda!

Have a great senior year Erin.

Camrin said...

very well done!
I LOVE all the pictures!
is Erin wearing LACE??? Who would have thought. :)

Chris and Jodi said...

Great Job Erin!!!

Dallas said...

Erin is such a sweet heart. Are those pictures taken in front of the new piano's you were looking at the other day. It is a very fancy piano. What neat pictures. Good luck with next year Erin. We all love you!