Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Dreams Do Come True

Many years ago my parents took me on a vacation back east to see church history sites. At the time I was about 15 years of age. Growing up in the church I always heard all of the stories about Joseph Smith and the early pioneers. It was just a part of my life. I didn't really have too much appreciations for all that our early ancestors did for us. I do remember starting seminary that next fall. As we talked and learned about the different things that occurred with the restoration I could visualize the events better since I had recently visited there. As I grew and read and my testimony developed, I gained more and more appreciation for our past. Then as I became a parent, I even appreciated what the early saints went through more. I still always remembered the sites my parents took me to see. I would think back and try to remember it all with the dream of someday going back and seeing it again. Over the years, I have told Jay about my dream to go back and tried to explain what it was like. He thought it would be more enjoyable to spend the money on a fishing trip to Alaska or something else of the sorts. I really didn't think we would ever make the trip. Then the unexpected happened. Each year the graduating seniors make a trip back east to the church history sites and they had extra seats for chaperons that needed to be filled. Sweet Jay, knowing that this has always been a dream for me decided we would fill some of their empty seats and go along with them. We thought Erin might like to go along in that she would be graduating early form High School next year and wouldn't have the opportunity to go. So we signed up. Much to our amazement, Erin decided she really didn't want to go. She felt like she would rather attend girls camp. We thought she was going nuts so we then decided to take Leslie in her place. BRAVE! Leslie was not able to go with her graduating class because we didn't dare send her on her own. She has always wanted to go, so this was her chance. We had a wonderful trip. I was amazed at how much the church has done to develop the sites. There were beautiful visitors centers at each place we visited. We truly sensed the sacredness of many of the places we visited. I will forever be grateful for the opportunity to visit and learn of the sacrifice's of many of my past ancestors and better see and understand our history. I am also so grateful for my testimony. It is strong and still growing. I am so grateful for it. And finally I am especially grateful for such a sweet husband who always seems to make all of my dreams come true.
Here are some beautiful sites we visited. I took about 600 pictures and I couldn't even delete hardly any of them. They were all so pretty. It's a good thing I like green because I sure saw a lot of it.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Thanks for sharing! Hope you get to go again.